MINIMUM STANDARDS FOR WORKING WITH REFUGEE WOMEN
Organisations signing up to the following minimum standards for working with refugee women are committing to:
- Create an open and safe environment an treat all refugee women with dignity and respect.
- Ensure all workers are aware of the need for gender sensitivity and implement appropriate.
- Understand gender based issues and act appropriately to take account of these.
- Offer the choice of female workers/interpreters to refugee women wherever possible.
- Ensure refugee women are routinely supported with childcare during asylum interviews so that they feel able to speak about confidential and sensitive issues.
- Ensure refugee women are aware of their rights and independence from their partners.
- Support others in understanding “Why Refugee Women?”